After making the Butterscotch Brownies a few weeks ago, I had a craving to return to tradition and make some gloriously decadent chocolate brownies. I stumbled across this recipe in the Popina: Book of Baking that had been on my cook book shelf for a number of years having purchased it when I started a cake-making business back in 2012. The whole book is pretty good actually and I would recommend buying it for any baking lovers out there, I found it online today for only £2.45!
I was particularly attracted to this recipe, over all 40,000 other chocolate brownie recipes that I could find, because they look extra luxurious, were quick to make and only had 5 ingredients.
INGREDIENTS FOR 9 LARGE OR 16 SMALL SQUARE BROWNIES
- 3 eggs – free range please!
- 240g dark chocolate
- 135g golden caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 55g plain flour
- Square/Rectangular Tin
- Mixing bowl
- Microwave safe bowl
- Baking Parchment
1. Turn the oven up to 160c.
2. Line a tin with baking paper/parchment – my trick is to butter the tin first, then cut the paper to match the tin exactly (a little extra time now will save you picking paper out of your bake later down the line) then butter the paper too to make it easy to peel off later.
3. Melt the chocolate and butter, then set aside to cool slightly – I used the microwave for this and it took about 60 seconds, with a pause to stir the mixture every 20 seconds. You could also use the method of a bowl over a boiling pan of water but frankly that sounds far too complicated to me.
4. In a different bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until they turn pale and creamy – this takes a while so prepare for achy arms!
5. Fold in the flour gently with a spatula.
4. Fold in the melted chocolate and butter from earlier, then mix together until fully combined – make sure the chocolate isn’t baking hot at this point or it will cook your eggs!
5. Pour the mixture into the lined baking tray.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the centre of the brownies – for me this took nearer to 30 minutes but they are supposed to be half-baked brownies so gooey is the aim!
The uses of these delicious chocolate truffle brownies are…
- Excellent as a snack with a warm cup of tea.
- A fab midday sugary pick-me-up.
- Who actually needs an excuse to eat a brownie..?
Have fun with this diet friendly (hahaha!) recipe!